Monday, August 20, 2012

Widow, Virgin, Whore by Deanna Lynn Sletten














This book is about three very different women that end up living together.  Katherine, the widow is a conservative and very intelligent single mother.  Denise is the good girl and is written to be every woman’s best friend.  Darla, the whore, is the wild, outrageous single mother that has never grown up.

I never read more than a sentence or two of the book’s description because I think it gives away too much.  I rather go into the book a bit blind. 

I thought this book was going to be something completely different than it was.  I thought it was maybe about a woman who is a widow, virgin and eventually a whore; showing the different periods of a woman’s life.  Showing the differences that people go through as growing up and how events can affect how they behave.

I enjoyed the book, but it was very depressing and poor motherhood stood out versus “sisterhood”.  The crusade of the characters seems to be off base and I quickly began skimming versus reading the book.  I eventually just wanted to get to the end of the book.

I don’t have much of a commentary for this book.  I wanted it to be so much more than it was.  I think maybe I wanted it to be a fun, “girly” book along the lines of “Bridget Jones’ Diary”.  It was not.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment