Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Forsaken by Andrew Van Wey


4 stars   
I haven’t read a scary book in a long time.  After I read some Dean Koontz books (my Dad was a fan) I started taking different routes to and from work.  I didn’t want anyone to be waiting for me and for me to fall into dangerous hands without throwing in a loop or two.  So, I figured, “what the heck?”  I dig the title.  A bit off.  Count me in! 
Well after I read it I dug more than the title.  It was spooky in a way that Gotham City is spooky.  It seems the characters don’t find the situation spooky but onlookers are asking why they haven’t moved yet.  The characters were off too.  They didn’t react the way I thought they should which added to the scariness.  I’d give it a read if you don’t mind that uneasy feeling when you are wondering if something bad is going to happen and aren’t scared by “crazy” mistresses.
I read some reviews stating that the story lacked logic.  I disagree in that most scary book have to lack some sort of logic, right?  Vampires, the boogeyman, and serial killers don’t seem to be the most logical of characters.  I accept this because humans don’t run on logic but a mixture of logic and feelings.  See my last opinion in my Some random opinions and beliefs post.  If we were always logical we’d behave like animals and only the strong would survive.    Oops, started to ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment