Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern











3 stars

I love reading author’s first books.  I find that they are new and exciting.  I read this for one of my book clubs and I was delighted with the story.  The story was mysterious and made me want to read more.  I was intrigued and found that I could not stop reading.  

I did find that the characters, though mysterious and interesting, were not characters that I cared all that much about.  The exception was Bailey introduced as a small boy driven by child-like enthusiasm and ability to believe in the unfathomable.  He was enduring and made me remember a child’s hopes and dreams.

I haven’t read a book that made me feel oddly mystical with a sense that magic was real and normal. This book was well written and induces a feeling of optimism.  Part 1 ends with a quote from Oscar Wilde, “A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” This quote describes the essence of this story.

This of course brought out thoughts of my world and perhaps magical happenings in my life.  Ideas, thoughts, strategies; they all come to me when I least expect them.  They come to me when I’m relaxed, in a dream, while I’m reading or watching the grass being watered.  Books always influence how I see the world and give me different ideas as to what perhaps can change.  Inspiration, at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment