Friday, August 17, 2012

The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton   

As I do numerous times a week I went to Amazon and looked at the top 100 free Kindle books.  This is where I found The Mind Readers.  It looked interesting because I, like many others I’m sure, have thought about what it would be like to be able to read minds.  Oh, so much knowledge!  What an advantage!  I’d love to hear what people really think.  Of course I was going through some personal life “issues” and thought how being able to read minds would protect me from heartache.  Anyway, I’ll give you more information about the book and less about my personal drama.

Cameron Winters is a high school student and doesn’t fit into the “in crowd” naturally.  She uses her mind reading abilities to be able to fit in with her popular but annoying best friend, Emily.  The day-to-day struggle to fit in begins to take a toll on Cameron and just escalate when she discovers a dead-school mate’s body.

People begin to enter Cameron’s life and she is confronted with her past; a father that has died, a mother that dropped Cameron at her grandmother’s home and never came back.  Lewis is a new student in school and Cameron falls for him.  He is the reason she leaves her home and her grandmother to receive training for her powers with Lewis and Aaron. 

During her training all discover how powerful Cameron really is and Aaron beings to ask Cameron to perform actions she is not comfortable doing and starts to question whether what Aaron and Lewis are doing is right.  

As the book progresses, Cameron questions her view of right and wrong and who is worthy of her trust.

The book seems to be written for juveniles as it addresses issues teenagers and young adults confront.  Though I’m not a teenager or a young adult, this book’s approach to science fiction hooked me. 

Cameron’s confusion about who to trust is an issue for almost all women, at all ages.  Ok, maybe all single women..all jaded single women?  Ah, we wouldn’t jaded if we could read minds.  Am I right?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we would be more jaded if we could read minds - whatcha think? Well, that comment in itself is a bit jaded - right? Definitely, keep blogging...love what you've written so far

    ReplyDelete