Saturday, September 7, 2013

Wild by Cheryl Strayed



4 1/2 stars
Cheryl Strayed is a woman trying to find her way.  There are several books about other women doing the same thing for example, “Saturday Night Widows” by Becky Aickman and “A Homemade Life” by Molly Wizenberg, to name a couple.  I am glad to say that this book delighted me just as much as the two I mentioned.   Cheryl is a likeable person, with faults, insecurities and a drive to move forward.  Women do this at different times in their lives.  Divorce, death, break ups, heart break, empty nest syndrome…life changing events.
Cheryl begins a trek on a journey that she is not only not prepared for, but doesn’t know what she is really searching for.  She starts the adventure to find herself, her true self which seems to be a common mystery to women.  She keeps going though she is ill prepared and finds friendship and help along the way.  She conquers fears because she doesn’t have a choice and comes out a stronger, more fulfilled woman. 
I love her; not only for her bravery, but for writing it down so I could read it and feel that even though I cannot take on the Pacific Crest Trail, I may be able to conquer other fears and become stronger by facing myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment