Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sick by Brett Battles






3 Stars

Blake Crouch sold me on this book.  I fell hook, line and sinker while reading his introduction.  The fear of terrible things happening to your children while you stand there helpless to save them has been my biggest fear since I became a parent.  Daniel Ash is the unfortunate parent that wakes up to the cries of his daughter.
This book has three elements that make it a good read.  First, the characters are well developed and I found myself talking to them. “Don’t do that!”  Don’t trust him!”  I wanted them to succeed and bring the bad guys down.  If I could just figure out who the bad guys were.  Second, the story didn’t repeat itself over and over as some books do.  I find that in some books the author assumes the reader cannot remember what happened two chapters previously so they summarize again and again.  Three, the characters do not know who to trust.  They cannot seem to figure out who is trying to kill them or why.
The anxiety is the main feeling I had when I was reading this book.  I must say that Dr. Karp’s demise was quite satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment