Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Spare Room by Helen Garner

3 stars

I’ve read a few books that give me the same sense of peacefulness and slow-paced life.  Another that comes to mind is Elinore Putruitt Stewart’s Letters of a Woman Homesteader”.  Though the topic is anything but happy this book is humorous.  Nicola and Helen are friends and Nicola comes to stay with Helen while pursuing alternative medication for stage 4 cancer.  The care that Helen takes to prepare Nicola’s room, the spare room, is touching.  I can picture the room as Helen Garner describes it.  I can smell the grass and rain come through the window in a breeze.  I love Helen Garner’s writing style.
Through the book I shifted my alliances.  I was with Nicola hoping that the alternative treatment for her cancer was a true solution and then I would be pessimistic and agreeing with Helen that the alternative medicine was a scam and senseless. 
Bessy, Helen’s granddaughter, lent some humor and lightness to the story.  I enjoyed the book, but because of the subject, I couldn’t read it again.

2 comments:

  1. I so love Elinore Putruitt Stewart’s Letters of a Woman Homesteader”! specially the line there of the doctor from a holistic cancer treatment centers wherein she underwent "You did not choose to have cancer, but it is within your power to choose how you will face this serious challenge with treatments that meet your needs and a positive attitude that will enhance your chances for survival".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that there are a lot of books about cancer these days. My father died of lung cancer almost a year ago and the quote you stated speaks to me. Thank you so much for your comment and I hope that you continue to read my blog.

      Delete